Welcome to Tsuta Onsen Ryokan!
A quaint Japanese inn surrounded by a forest of Japanese beech trees located near the entrance of Oirase Keiryu (mountain stream in Oirase), and the Shirakami Mountains World Heritage site. Breathe in the fresh mountain air and relax surrounded by nature for a nostalgic time. Bathe at the source of Japan's best hidden hot spring that has been in existence since the Heian Period. Enjoy the seasonal tastes of Aomori, as we prepare meals using seasonal and locally sourced food ingredients.
Tsuta no Mori -Forest where Water is Produced-
Tsuta Onsen is located in the hillside of South Hakkoda, a back room of Aomori, and is covered by the quiet Japanese beech woods. "Forest Time" flows here. The time of a Japanese beech tree from seedling to growing into a giant tree and eventually decaying. The time where the rich woods produce rich water—the time of the soaked wetland turning into dense forest—It is definitely not the same that one minute spent in life in the city and one minute spent in a hot spring inn in the woods. Please say goodbye to busy and hectic times for a while and enjoy your relaxed "Forest Time" that is only for you.
Photo/Text: Daisuke Kawai (Nature guide)
Get comfortable in the high-quality and special space loved by literary legends where you can feel the "Passing of Time."
Japanese-style rooms are surrounded by a silence that will make you feel nostalgic, with a peaceful warmth and scenery showcasing each season gently spreading outside your window. Please enjoy the time that flows slowly in the rooms with different designs.
*In March 2016, "Three Special Rooms" were newly renovated at Tsuta Onsen Ryokan.
Bathe in the "Hot Spring of Life" that gushes with burbling sounds from the bottom plates
Bathe in the 1000-year-old secret hot spring "Kyuan no Yu" and "Senkyo no Yu" in the land of mystery continuously loved by a number of literary artists. Please enjoy the mild hot water directly flowing from the hot spring source through bottom plates of the bathtub made of beechwood.
Our hot spring is available for day use for visitors not staying at the ryokan as well.
A number of our specialty "Seasonal Dishes" feature locally produced food ingredients from Aomori.
Enjoy Kaiseki Ryori (traditional Japanese course dinner) at our restaurant where you can feel the comforting warmth of trees. We purchase local grown seasonal food ingredients produced in Aomori prefecture. Please enjoy the nostalgic tastes of our seasonal cooking and specialty dishes.
Our restaurant also serves lunch.
Tsuta Onsen Ryokan
1 Aza Tsutanoyu, Oirase, Towada-shi, Aomori 034-0301 Japan
[Free Transportation Service]
- Aomori Station (in front of a police box) at 3:30 p.m. ⇒ Via Hotel Jogakura at 4:25 p.m. ⇒ Tsuta Onsen at 4:50 p.m.
- Shichinohe-Towada Station at 3:00 p.m. ⇒ Tsuta Onsen at 3:45 p.m.
- Towadako Onsenkyo bus stop
*Please kindly contact us 3 days prior to your arrival to book the shuttle service.
- Get on the JR bus Mizuumi-go at JR Aomori Station (also Shin-Aomori Station) ⇒ Tsuta Onsen
- It takes 80 min. by JR bus Oirase-go from JR Tohoku Shinkansen's Hachinohe Station, get off at Towadako Onsenkyo, and it takes 10 min. by taxi
- From Hachinohe (90 min): Route 45 ⇒ Route 102 ⇒ Bound for Hakkoda via Route 103
- From Aomori (90 min.): Route 4 ⇒ Bound for Hakkoda/Towadako via Route 103
- Oirase-keikoku ValleyArea: Oirase, Towada City
Access: 15 min by carRich Woods, falls, a beautiful stream, various oddly shaped rocks, and places of scenic beauty create the stunning beauty of a mountain stream where you can enjoy the natural beauty of the four seasons. The best time to view the tender green is May-June and from the middle to the end of October for autumn foliage.
- Lake TowadaArea: Kosaka-machi, Kazuno-gun, Akita
Access: 45 min by carThe seasons of tender green and autumn foliage are great, but Lake Towada in winter is fantastic, which can soothe your mind. The best season to view tender green is May-June, and the autumn foliage will start at the beginning of October, and the best time to view autumn foliage is from the middle to the end of October.
- Mt. HakkodaArea: Aomori City
Access: 35 min by carA ropeway is installed and you can observe diverse marsh and alpine plants from Sancho Koen Station as the base point. You can enjoy autumn foliage in autumn and mountaineering skiing in winter.
- Jogakura-ohashi BridgeArea: Aomori City
Access: 30 min by carJapan's best arched deck bridge. This bridge was built as the bridge that connects Jogakura Gorge in Hakkoda, which was a dangerous traffic spot and is currently popular among tourists visiting Hakkoda as one of Aomori's best driving routes to Hakkoda.
- Jigoku-numa PondArea: Aomori City
Access: 25 min by carHot spring at 90 degrees C or higher gushes with the steam rising up throughout the year. You can see bubbles popping on the surface of the pond and signs of "No-Entry" put up here and there. It is literally like hell but is a very beautiful sightseeing spot.
- Tsuta Nana-numa PondsArea: Oirase, Towada City
Access: 5 min by walkIt is a collective term for the seven lakes and ponds that show fantastic scenery. Tsuta-numa Pond, Kagami-numa Pond, Tsuki-numa Pond, Naga-numa Pond, Suga-numa Pond, Hyotan-numa Pond, and Aka-numa Pond are located in a little separate place. A walking trail called Numa Meguri no Komichi has been improved, and you can enjoy trekking.
- Check-In3:00 p.m. (Final check-in: 12:00 a.m.)
- Checkout10:00 a.m.
- ParkingAvailable for 100 cars (Free)/No reservations necessary
- Guest Rooms34 rooms
- Building FacilitiesRestaurant, Complimentary Shuttle Service, wake-up call, and home-delivery service
- Room Facilities/FixingsTV, telephone, hot pot, tea set, toothbrush set, razor, towels, bath towels, and slippers
*Part of them varies according to the room type.
- Place to EatBreakfast: Restaurant (Buffet)
- InternetComplimentary WiFi
- Credit CardVISA, JCB, AMEX, UC, Master Card
- Cancellation PolicySame day: 50% of the accommodation charge
24h: 30% of the accommodation charge
less than 5 days prior to arrival time: 10% of the accommodation charge
No-show/non-arrival without contacting us: 100% of the accommodation charge